CTAM’s Advanced Products Council collaboratively explores current and next generation video services that member companies can leverage to enhance the consumer experience, impact business growth, and increase the value of the pay subscription model.
Advanced Products Council Co-Chair
Senior Vice President, Video Products
2017 AVC Mid-Year Meeting Key Takeaways
- While credential sharing among certain demographics, including college Millennials, may not prevent subscription sign up, it represents sampling without the opportunity to upsell.
- For credential sharing, “before we kick them out, first, sign them out”, and employ risk-based authentication, such as requiring two-factor authentication on riskier accounts.
- There is a cautious balance between preventing fraud and driving consumers away stressing the importance of understanding fraud patterns and best practices for mitigating abuse.
- Metadata impacts on the user experience can limit discoverability, hinder the ability to find specific shows, and ultimate lead to lost viewers and lost ad revenues.
- The goal with metadata is to provide consistency and a UI navigation model to associate and display content in an intuitive manner.
- It’s important to establish best practices for branding content in order to create less frustration in search and discovery among consumers, as well as create a stronger connection between the network and branded content.
VP, Distribution Business Development
EVP and GM, Video Services
SVP, Advanced Products
2017 AVC Kick-off Meeting Key Takeaways
- Consumers are in a state of hyper-adoption, walking in and out of new
experiences, services and
devices faster than ever before.
- Connected relationships are growing thanks to more connected devices, a data
explosion these devices are creating, and category-disrupting innovation.
- Companies that can create emotional, frequent and convenient connections with
consumers will build a new kind of power.
- It’s all about partnering promiscuously to create that connected consumer
ecosystem with cable at the epicenter.
- It’s not just about providing a solution, but giving customers an experience
and being there for them during their entire customer journey.
- Streaming is the future of pay-TV, creating an opportunity for cable to grow
their share and expand their reach by providing an additional value/outlet to
- It’s easy to say what a person wants, but to take that to scale and create
emotional resonance on a broader level is the challenge for cable. That’s where
a collaborative input and effort is critical.
James McQuivey, Ph.D.
Vice President, Principal Analyst
VP Pay TV
EVP and Chief Product Officer
Resources and Use Cases
Advanced Video Guide - Learn about the cutting edge technologies shaping the future of cable television.
2016 EOY AVC Take-Aways
2016 Mid-Year AVC Take-Aways
2016 Kick-Off AVC Take-Aways